How to Install the WORDsearch App on Kindle Fire

NOTE: The WORDsearch app will not work on any 1st Generation Kindle Fire devices that operate on the Android 2.3.3 platform, but should load on 2nd and 3rd Generation Kindle Fire models with the following instructions.

Open your Kindle Fire to the home screen.

KF1Scroll your finger down from the top of the screen (where it shows time and battery life) to Options. Select More…

KF2On the menu that opens up, you should see Settings. Underneath Settings, choose Device.

KF3From the Device page, make sure that option Allow Installation of Application From unknown sources is ON.  If it’s currently OFF, please change it to ON.

KF4After you have completed the above steps, click on the following link from your Kindle Fire to download the app.

You may see a pop-up screen that says Download File? To access this linked file, it must first be downloaded to your device. The file can be found in Downloads. Select the OK on this screen.

From here, you will need to access your Downloads folder. The easiest way to do so is to first make sure your web browser is open. Then, in the top left, click on the three horizontal lines.

KF5From this menu, select Downloads.

KF6From here, you should see the download titled WS_Prod_1131-1.apk or something very similar. You can click on that line to begin the installation of the app by accepting the terms and tapping Install.

The application should download. You will then be given the option to open the app. You should also be able to find the app when you click on Apps on your homepage and are on the Device selection within the Apps page.

Once the app has launched, please see the sign-in instructions below.

• If you are already a registered WORDsearch customer, enter your email address and password in the section called “Already a Member?” to get access to all the books in your account.
  • If you are a WORDsearch customer, BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ONLINE ACCOUNT, tap or click here to setup an online account.
  • If you are a WORDsearch customer and you have an online account, but you have forgotten your online account password, or if you are receiving an error such as “Could not log-in, check your user name and password.” when trying to log-in, tap or click here to go to our log-in page, then click on “Forgot your password? Click here.” to have a replacement password emailed to you.
    NOTE: If you are not receiving the replacement password email, check your Spam folder, your Junk Mail folder and even the Trash folder in your email program. The replacement password email could be there.

To learn more on how to use this app, click here.

1. Thanks for making the .apk easier to get a hold of, not many developers will do that. I only played with it for a bit but it seemed like its starting to open up and navigate faster than the version I was using.

2. Rich Asper says:

If you email the link to this blog entry to yourself and open it with your kindle, it’s easier to then tap the download link (as opposed to entering it by hand.) Hope this helps.

3. Andrew Moore says:

Thank you so much for developing an app that can be used on the Kindle fire. I was given the Kindle last year as I thought I had read something about being able to download any app rather than just the Amazon apps. I then trusted in faith that one day I would get my WORDsearch library on my kindle just like others could on their ipad. When you were developing the android version, I was excited again, but only to be told by my kindle that this is not an android device. I was greatly saddened and, had virtually given up, when up pops your post on Facebook. I am so excited to take my WORDsearch library around with me on my Kindle, rather than just having it on my laptop.
    Thank you all so much for developing the app. One post said “. . . not many developers will do that . . . ” about making the app easier to get hold of. I am so grateful that you have developed the app at all. I am sure many others are as grateful as I am. May God richly bless all involved.

• Thanks so much for your kind words, Andrew! Thanks for your patience and taking the time out to send us this comment, we really appreciate it. Have a great day!

4. Gary Kendrick says:

THANK YOU!!! for working to get the Kindle version ready and providing a path to get it working. I might mention though that the newest Kindle HDX version running mojito operating system changes a few of the things and some adjustments have to be made in your directions. One such is under the SETTINGS tab/menu you have to choose applications rather than device in order to select to allow installations of applications from other developers but other than that it all works great. Thanks again for the patience and endurance in getting your app available to Kindle users.

5. Dean Herold says:

Any information to share on new Android Update. Hopefully split screen and being able to save downloads to SD card.

• Hi Dean, we should have an update soon. I will let you know once we have any more information. Thank you for your patience!

6. Can you please update the .apk file link above with the new 2.2.2 version that is available in the Google Play store?

Hi Matt! We will do our best in getting the new .apk file to be available on these set of instructions as soon as possible. We are reaching out to our app developer to request it this week, so hopefully we will be able to update this in the near future. Thank you for your request.

7. John Barone says:

I just tried these instructions on my Kindle Fire HD (2012 model), but had no luck. I was able to get the app to install and start, but it just comes up with invalid login, no matter what I do. I know that the credentials I have entered are correct.

8. My wsb app has worked for a long time and now it just says that my app has stopped right after I open it. I removed and reinstalled, same thing. I don’t know what happened.

• Hi Jamie! Could you clarify which app you are using? Are you using the mobile app or do you mean WORDsearch Basic?

• I am using the mobile app on the Kindle Fire HD. Worked fine for a long time. Not sure what happened.

• Hi Jamie, have you tried using While you can’t work offline, it has more functionality than the Kindle app (which was more of a workaround than a real app) and you can access all of your books from any browser. Hope this helps and sorry about the Kindle app!

• I keep trying to reply, but it won’t seem to post. Using the mobile app. The apk file mentioned above, on my Kindle Fire HD.

9. Neal Ramage says:

Like Jamie above I installed WORDsearch just after you developed this for Kindle Fire and it worked great until recently. As soon as I turn it on it gives the message ‘WORDsearch has stopped’. I deleted it and reinstalled it and the same thing happens. I used the WS_PROD_1131.APK download. What can we do ?

• Hi Neal, what you can do is use your browser on the Kindle and try While you can’t work offline, it has more functionality than the Kindle app (which was more of a workaround than a real app) and you can access all of your books from any browser. Hope this helps and sorry about the Kindle app!

10. I am having the same issue as Jamie. I am running the ver1.0 app linked above on fire hd 4th gen (fire os4.5.5). Any chance you could get some later versions of the apk linked as was previously requested? I see there are multiple versions listed on a few other sites, but I don’t know if they’re really legit or not.

• Hi Chris! At this time we aren’t supporting a Kindle app. You can use for a better experience! While you can’t work offline, it has more functionality than the Kindle app (which was more of a workaround than a real app) and you can access all of your books from any browser. Hope this helps and sorry about the Kindle app!