A Desktop in WORDsearch is like having a stack of study tools (as mentioned in our Guest Post – Stacks) for different needs you might have. You can set up multiple Desktops and have the books you use the most saved open, ready to go. For example, you can have a “Morning Devotional” Desktop set up with your daily devotional and your favorite Bible opened. Then you can open your “Sermon Creation” Desktop, where you have your most used commentaries and Word Study tools, along with parallel Bibles set up. Each desktop is like a separate copy of WORDsearch, and each keeps track of highlighting, personal notes, open books, and preferences. Everything you do in your Desktop is kept separate from work done in all other Desktops. Desktops are also a great tool to use for multiple family members. Each person can have separate preferences and active study sessions.
Now that we understand the benefits of having different Desktops, let’s go through the steps to create, manage, and open Desktops.
Some notes to know first:
- The first time you start WORDsearch you will automatically have a Desktop created called “My Desktop.”
- WORDsearch automatically updates your Desktop as you use the program, so you don’t have to remember to save your changes before exiting. You can even leave windows open when you exit, and they will be restored them the next time you run WORDsearch.
- When you create a new Desktop, it is totally empty and has no highlighting, personal notes, or open windows carried over from the previously active Desktop.
How to Create a New Desktop
2. In the Create New Desktop dialog box that appears, enter a name for your Desktop. For example, “Sermon Creation.”
3. You can choose to create a new desktop using the default settings or using the settings from the current Desktop. Settings include preferred books and Preferences.
4. Click on the OK button.
How to Manage Your Desktops
1. Click on the Desktops button located on the Tool Bar.
2. Click on the Manage Desktops menu item.
3. The Manage Desktops window will open.
How to Open a Desktop
2. Click on the name of the desktop found on the drop down menu that you would like to open.
That’s it! What are the name’s of your different Desktops? Share with us in the comments below!